Friday, August 15, 2014

Cosplay Making : Goddess Madoka (Prologue)

This first part is just for a basic over view of the costume, reference pictures, time required, etc. If you choose to skip this, you'll be fine. This is more of an extra piece that explains the costume. You'll be able to follow along just fine in the tutorial with or without reading this ^_^
--------♡☆-------
Aha, long time no talk~~
So before I get into the making portion, I'm just going to give you a basic over view of the costume. 
Since you clicked on this tutorial/making thingy, that means you (may) have an interest in cosplaying Godoka! Let me tell you one thing- Good luck. This costume, wasn't that difficult, but was no piece of cake. As for myself - I have only made a few other costumes before making this, and had some help on them. So this was basically my first project going solo (but shoutout to my mom for helping keep me mentally intact through out all this). Of course, no costume is complete without its set of difficulties! So if you are just beginning at sewing and want to take on this costume, hey power to ya but personally, I would recommend having made a costume or two in the past. 
I'd give this costume about a 7.5 (personally, this is gonna differ from person to person) on a scale of one to ten. One being like Ib, ten being like a Sakizou design. Here is the finished project of Godoka! (Shitty quality, I'm sorry ;~;)
                                               


Also, before I get going I want to say -
This is NOT a tutorial for the bow and/or wings. Strictly sewing this time, but maybe in the future I will create one. Dunno yet.
Now as I stated before, you could be interested in making Godoka, or just like reading tutorials on making shiz (Hehe I enjoy reading them greatly :3). Godoka (Goddess Madoka) is from the anime Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Hence the name, this is her Goddess form. Don't worry, if you haven't finished the show I won't put in too many spoliers! Anyways, I'm going to show you guys the reference pictures I used! 
This picture is a screencap from the anime itself; however, not much detail was on this photo, so while pretty, not as helpful as the next ones.
Ah yes, this is the photoset that my costume was mainly based on. You can see more detail in these. This is a figure (which I am just dying to purchase tbh) that I believe was made by the GoodSmile Company! These pictures mainly show everything, but some is obstructed due to the bow and such sooooooo~
Now we can see the gems, jacket, and choker more clearly. 
Lemme tell you, if you didn't hate scalloping edges before, you will surely hate them now. Approximatly 23 hours (total) was purely spent on these edges and making them lay correctly (took me about three days).
This costume took me around a bit over a month to complete, but I would allot yourself maybe like 2 or 3 months. I did rush this a bit and this is NOT a costume you want to rush. Even though theres not much detail, I would say the costume is very time consuming and (if you want to get everything perfect) you could possibly spend hours just pinning fabric. 
Now here are the questions I'm most frequently asked when posting this kinda stuff:
Q: How much did this costume cost you to make?
A: Oh my Godoka (heheh I'm so tricky wow), I really lost track. During the costume, I bought the wrong fabric multiple times. I'm pretty sure I spent a total of $250-$400 on everything.
-
Q: Where did you buy your fabric?
A: For this costume, Joann Fabrics. Always remember to check for coupons online for Joann Fabrics. I saved like $60 one transaction because of coupons. Use them.
-
Q: What kind of material did you use?
A: I'm really bad with naming material types but I wanna say this is a silk or satin of some kind. 
-
Q: Besides fabric, what other things will I need to use?
A: For this costume in particular: a zipper, velcro, pins, thread, seam ripper, hot glue gun, rhinestones, pins, some kick ass music to rock out to, boning, did I mention pins?,  scissors, a sewing machine (I mean, hand sewings cool but about impossible with this much), so so many pins, bandaid (don't get blood on this costume ok) and tissues. If you are like me, you'll need more than a few tissues.  And remember, if you drop a pin, pick it up. You don't want to step on it and land yourself in the hospital of whatever. But if you have some crazy luck of never stepping on pins and wanna live that 'never pick up pins' life, power to ya.
-
And the most most most asked one
Q: How much material would I need?
A: I wish I could give you a good answer on this, but it really depends on your own body type. My body is normally an XS or a S. But I'll tell you how much I proximately bought.
White (thin): 2yards
White (thick): 4 yards
Purple: 8 yards
Pink: 4 yards
I did not use all of this fabric though, but it is always better to have extra then not enough!
-
Ok ok enough of me and lets get to the tutorial! 
Next Part : Cosplay Making: Goddess Madoka - Part 1 (The First Skirt) 


1 comment: